Sunday, December 24, 2006

Playing with the Dolphins

Kyle and I went for a nice 10 miler this afternoon after church. We had such great weather and conditions we thought we'd go for 5 or 6 miles but keep on going.

The greatest thing happened on our way out. As we started I noticed a pod of dolphins and started to paddle towards them. There was a good dozen to twenty of them. We paddled into the middle and thought that they would take off. We were way off.

As we headed south so did they. They surrounded us and played near us for a good 2 miles. There were a couple of times we couldn't put our paddles in the water because we would have hit them. Two jumped in front of me almost putting me in the water. I also had one that swam directly below me for at least 100-200 meters. A couple times I noticed that he would turn his head to the side to check me out every once in a while.

I've surfed with dolphins before, to where they jumped in front of me on a wave. But then they took off. Kyle nor I had never experienced a whole pod of dolphins hanging out with us. This was an unreal experience, only when Stand Up Paddle Surfing. What a great day!

No comments: